Water Footprint & Stewardship
Better for People and the Planet
Water is the lifeblood of our planet and our industry. Although most of the planet surface is water, only 3 percent of it is fresh water. Every year we consume over 4 trillion cubic meters (4 quadrillion litres) of fresh water in agriculture, industry and our homes further stressing our delicate ecosystem and watersheds. We believe that businesses such as ours can play a leading role in mitigating water challenges not just in our own value chain, but also for all stakeholders who rely on this precious resource.
Managing our water footprint and wastewater quality is key in our industry
Over 90 percent of our products contain water, and of these over 90 percent of the ingredients is water. With water not only being the key ingredient in our cleaning solutions, but also being instrumental in the use of our products, it is undeniably the most important natural resource for us to conserve and preserve.
Our water management program areas of focus are:
- Reduce water consumption in our manufacturing process and facility cleaning procedures
- Reduce water ratio in our products by increasing formula concentration
- Reduce employee water consumption at our facilities and at home through water awareness
- Reduce customers water usage in cleaning programs
When it comes to preserving and protecting our communities’ watersheds, waterways and bodies, we are adamant about ensuring that our facilities and products wastewater is disposed safely and responsibly to reduce any potential impact on the environment.
Our wasterwater and local water protection areas of focus are:
- Design formulas taking into account ready biodegradability, aquatic toxicity, bioaccumulation and eutrophication
- Improve manufacturing wastewater quality discharge standards beyond regional regulations
- Ensure that our material and waste streaming programs divert wastes from potentially polluting waterways and waterbodies.
Other sustainability initiatives
We strive to better serve our customers’ needs while keeping in mind our responsibility to this planet and its people. We will constantly keep reaching for new sustainability milestones for us, for our customers and for future generations.
Climate Change & Renewable Energy
Climate change is the unprecedented challenge of today’s generations. We are taking action to address our greenhouse gas emissions across our facilities and our supply chain by focusing on increasing efficiency and transitioning to low impact renewable energy.
Smart Chemistry & Renewable Ingredients
We engage in responsible chemistry by formulating our products to manage risks to human health and the environment. Investing in bio-based renewable ingredients is at the forefront of our innovation program to provide customers with more sustainable solutions without compromising performance.
Our Environmentally Preferred Solutions
Explore our ever-growing Project Clean® premium line of cleaning product that embodies our focus on sustainable solutions.